I'm a huge denim fan. But hey, who isn't? However, every day I see the cutest outfit snaps on Instagram, get inspired, but as I wake up and run out of the house, I'm always wearing pretty much the same thing I did yesterday: a t-shirt and pair of black jeans.
And every day my friend at work goes like, "Why don't you wear nice things? Show some legs! Where's that off-shoulder romper from the photo you've shown me the other day?" She has a point. But did it ever happen to you, having so many options in your closet but not daring to wear them out?
I feel like it often has to do with our self-esteem. We opt for the safest because out of fear of attention and of not looking good enough (read: being good enough). We might be afraid to project our true self to the world. The more we reach for the safest, most basic alternative, the more our true self shrinks on the inside. This is awfully deep for a closet talk, but that's how it is. One week, though, I got really fed up. I was done with reaching for the safest combination. Those cute dresses and overalls had to come out.
Let's see how it played out!
- DAY ONE
So, it's Monday. I'm leaving the house in a hurry, and REALLY don't have time to dress up. But I recall my challenge and decide to stick to it anyway. The outfit turns out pretty basic, and I'm not too happy, but I'm not wearing jeans - this is what I'm proud of! When I get back from work, I ask my boyfriend to take a photo (it's a project, after all!). I think of ways to elevate a simple t-shirt, reach for my neck scarf and do my hair up. Now we're talking! This is what it would look like if I had five more minutes in the morning, but it's okay. Think a versatile outfit: an option for the day and another one for the night out!
- DAY TWO
Tuesday. I'm getting ready but kind of running late again. Taking Uber, then! I open my closet, and a floral dress catches my eye. I got it on sale back in January and haven't worn yet. No time to think, or I'm going to be really late! I put the dress on, quickly throw my stuff into a cute small bag, and run out to catch my Uber.
I ended up really glad that I called for a ride. The driver was really nice, and it was the first time ever that I've had a real conversation with one. I think my cute dress is making a difference! I feel confident and pretty as early as 6.30 in the morning.
Leaving work in the afternoon, I'm really happy with how I look and getting lots of compliments. It's really about the way what I wear works with my personality today. As simple as that, confidence brings out the best in me! I don't change anything about my outfit as I ask my boyfriend to take a snap. Thinking of getting more cute little bags on this one...
- DAY THREE
Wednesday off means farmer's market day, and I'm heading out. It's almost +30 outside, so the fewer clothes, the better. I opt for a comfortable dress and the slides that I've had for quite a while but never managed to wear out. Aren't they just so cute?? I reach for my old bag since I'm going to be carrying lots of food.
Getting ready today really taught me something. Don't dress up for others, dress for yourself! First, I put on an outfit that looked cute but wasn't at all comfortable. I changed it when realized that I tried a little harder than I normally would because I knew we would be taking a picture. This wasn't right. I don't want this challenge to be a competition with myself for a nicer outfit. I just want to have fun, after all! Let's keep it in mind!
- DAY FOUR
Today I wake up super early and really take my time getting ready instead of rushing out of the house. Highlighter - check! As for the outfit, I realize that I'm a little tired of femininity, and go for one of my favorite t-shirts and the espadrilles. I reach for my black high-waisted shorts again, too. I do need another pair of shorts because these are the only ones I have, but literally, no brand comes up with a slouchy boyfriend fit I'd happily buy. Everyone makes these tight little hotpants. I mean, this trend when your butt is showing?.. No, thanks, not for me.
- DAY FIVE
Today is another day off, so I don't have to go anywhere at all. However, the weather is dreamy, and I simply can't miss it!
I'm going to be lying in the sun, so I opt for my Forever 21 overall, which is the tiniest piece of clothing I own. Without trying too hard, I do my hair up and spend two whole hours relaxing in the park. Overall, it was a really great and productive day. I worked on the blog, then on my writing thing, then cleaned up the place (always makes me proud of myself!). Me and my boyfriend wrapped the day up by watching the Overwatch World Cup. I don't play this game, but really had nothing else to do, and it turned out to be so much fun! :)
- DAY SIX
This day made me realize that it's not that I don't have that many options in my closet, but I literally DO NOT have them at all. I had to wear my floral dress again because there was nothing else to reach for when I wanted to look cute. Sad face!
After work though, we went to the street festival that was happening on our street that day. I changed into my black shorts (the only pants I have that are not jeans) and my favourite striped T-shirt. Love this combination, but if you've scrolled down this far, you're probably sick of these shorts by now!
- DAY SEVEN
Okay, so I ended up wearing jeans today. Sorry about that (and about my messy hair, too). But it's pretty chilly outside, it's already day seven anyway so it practically doesn't count, right? :) This denim jacket is my favourite. I got it on sale back in January, and I just love the rips!
- I think it was a fun challenge that made me seriously revise everything I own, my style and shopping habits. It made me sad that I even aiming to own less, I still have things I'd bought on a whim and haven't worn too many times. When something is cute, but you're not sure you're ever going to wear it, then get rid of it.
- By day 7, I completely ran out of options to wear to work. I still have a few things I'd happily wear on my time off, but I don't feel comfortable mixing the off-duty and work vibes. The reason is that it's really important for me to give myself time to unwind and to reconnect with who I am underneath the working persona.
- I realized that I'm still confused about my style. That is why I find shopping so frustrating. I like easy, fun and not too sophisticated outfits, but I've been so afraid for them to seem too "simple". This challenge helped me clear my head. Which brings us to the next one...
- Even though I work in fashion, it's not my number one area of self-expression, and that is completely OKAY. For some people it is, and that's why they're so immersed into creating amazing outfits. But I do something else, and the awesome things I am able to create - they matter most to me. I am what I am, and this is already more than enough. Accepting yourself is the first step to bigger and better things.
- I realized that I do like to dress nicely. Even thought I've just said I was confused, this one is clear - I do like to look nice. I mean, how good I felt on day two! This challenge reminded me that actually enjoy having fun with creating outfits, just need to trust myself more.
- Minimal wardrobe doesn't mean owning nothing at all. I need to invest in my closet, but do it strategically. I used to plan my shopping in the past, even do collages and charts, and I think it's time to bring this habit back. And of course, do another wardrobe clean-up.
- Oh, and the last one. Thanks to the challenge, I realized that you don't have to go far to find something to blog about daily. This is why I love lifestyle blogging. You just blog about life! And it leaves so much room for reflection and working out life lessons. Which is ultimately good for writing! :)
Let's have a wonderful week!